The Global Soil Week 2017 aims to contribute to the successful implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It will do so by looking at the subset of SDGs that are under review by the High-level Political Forum 2017 (HLPF) through the perspective of land and soils, thereby providing an integrating perspective across the SDGs; contributing data and other forms of knowledge complementary to the SDG indicators. The Global Soil Week 2017 (GSW) also aims to serve as bridge to empower different actors to share their priorities on the SDG implementation. Proceeding like this, the GSW 2017 intends to contribute to the HLPF theme “Eradicating Poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world” and, ultimately, catalyse SDG implementation. Specifically, partners of the GSW intend to:
- Account for trade-offs and seek synergies between the SDGs;
- Move from knowledge production and sharing to learning processes that feed into action;
- Empower actors to be able to contribute to follow up and review processes of the 2030 Agenda;
- Increase the ownership of the 2030 Agenda;
- Address critical pressure points, namely: (i) Net resource pressures; (ii) Consumption and production patterns; (iii) Access and rights to resources.